Best African American Hair Care Products. Many women who have Afro-curly hair use special products to make it smoother, but progressive retouching and polishing often ends up damaging it. These chemical processes thin the hair and leave it brittle, dull and lifeless, in some cases hair loss can occur, thus decreasing its volume. Smoothing ends up generating problems that are sometimes irreversible such as permanent alopecia and thinning hair. So this article is for those who want to stop applying smoothing, or for those who just want to take better care of their curls. To cheer up, look at these photos that show that very curly or afro hair can be very beautiful.
If these girls smoothed their hair, they certainly would not look so good. Undoubtedly they are more attractive with their natural, very curly hair. The example below is that of very curly hair, long and with natural volume. Follow these tips to keep your hair curly or afro healthy and with a reduced volume.
How to care for afros or very curly hair?
1. Weekly hydration
Hydrate your hair every week, or up to 2 times a week, to replenish moisture. Afros and very curly hairs, due to their shape of curls or snails, do not allow moisture and natural hydration of the scalp to be distributed over its entire length. For this reason they tend to be more dry. Try to use specific products for your hair type, preferably with formulations that include aloe vera, panthenol and vitamins. Check our article with 15 recipes with aloe vera for skin and hair.
2. Hair oils
Once a week, if you wish, soak your hair with moisturizing oils. These will help to improve the texture of the hair, lower the volume and domesticate the curls. Coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil are ideal for this type of hair. In this article you will find more types of essential oils that you can use in your recipes to moisturize hair.
3. Monthly reconstruction
Make a reconstruction a month with keratin and amino acids that repair and restore damaged hair. You can even use liquid keratin, but then you must apply a reconstructive mask. Read the article we have on how to rebuild hair at home.
4. Do not comb your hair in the morning
When you wake up, run your fingers through the curls using a product to activate them. They can be oils or creams for combing without rinsing. Do not comb it so that the curls keep their shape.
5. Take care of it at bedtime
To avoid damaging the curls, tie them on the top of the head and release them in the morning. You will only have to straighten them and apply some shaping product. This technique is known as “pineapple” due to the shape of the curls tied in the head.
6. Wash it with water at room temperature
Washing the hair with hot water dries it, and the secret to make it look beautiful and healthy is to keep it hydrated. But you will not do anything with applying creams and suitable products if you wash your hair with hot water, because it will not respond to the treatment.
7. How to wash afro or very curly hair?
After washing the hair with shampoo, apply a conditioner all the way to the tips and comb it in the shower to untangle it. Dry it with a towel, gently squeezing it and use a cream to comb curls activator. Ideally, comb it with your hands from the bottom up until you reach the scalp, but if you prefer, use a wooden comb and wide spikes.
8. Dry it naturally
After applying the styling cream, let the curls dry naturally and then use complementary products such as a moisturizing gel or intensifying spray to prevent dryness. These are products that protect the dryness caused by the environment (wind, sun, etc.), and help reduce the volume. Ointments, waxes, silicones and hair oils help a lot to prevent frizziness.
9. How to dry the afro or very curly hair with the dryer?
Dry curls to the natural causes that they are defined. But if you want to use a dryer, first apply a thermal protector to the hair and adjust a diffuser to the dryer. Do not comb it while drying it to prevent it from losing shape.
10. Do not sleep with wet hair
You can not have this habit. The curls are very close to each other and close, which favors the proliferation of fungi and bacteria on the scalp.
11. Use curlers
If you have curly and short hair, this is good advice. Wash the hair and dry it 60% with the dryer, then wrap the hair with small curls and finish drying to define them even more. Leave the curls in the hair for hours, or as much as possible, finally remove them and straighten the curls with your fingers. When combing them like this, the curls usually last until the next wash.
12. Cut it
A good cut is one of the main weapons against volume and in the case of curly hair, it helps to eliminate dry ends. Each hair has its technique, but the stylists agree that the straight cut should be avoided. With all the hair at the same length, the volume accumulates at the tip, the result is a triangular cut with little volume at the root and too much at the ends.
13. Eat well
Maintaining a balanced diet with plenty of protein, fresh vegetables and water helps maintain the vitality of the hair. A good option is to consume avocados, but without overdoing it. This fruit contains fat and helps maintain the oiliness of the hair.
Products for African American Hair
We are going to leave you the best products for curly hairs in each category, so you have to avoid looking and lose more time, that is, there is no order or preference, you should know that it does not work the same for everyone , so it is best to try several and stay with the one that best suits you.
Best shampoos for African American Hair
- BABARIA KERATINA & ARGAN curly hair shampoo 400 ml.
- Pantene Perfect Curls – Shampoo for curly hair, 675 ml.
- Franck Provost – Expert Reparation + – Professional shampoo for dry, damaged hair – 750 ml
- Pantene PRO-V Curls Perfect Shampoo for curly hair 270 ml
- Llongueras – Color Protection – Shampoo for curly dyed hair – 700 ml
- Color & Smoothing Hair Expertise Shampoo
- Revlon Professional – ProYou Texture Substance Up – volumizing and disciplining concentrate – 350 ml
- Shampoo Fructis Hydra Curls 300ml by Garnier
- L’Oréal Paris Liss Pure Curly Shampoo, Indomitable 250 ML
- Shampoo Fructis Nutri Repair 3 300ml by Garnier
- Shampoo Nutrition & Hydration Hair Expertise
Best Conditioners for African American Hair hair
- Pantene – Hydrocreme Curls New 145 ml
- Pantene Pro-V Perfect Curls – Conditioner for curly hair, 675 ml
- Matrix Curl Please – Curly conditioner, 1000 ml
- salt-free keratin Conditioner for curly hair
- John Frieda – Curly Hair Conditioner 250 ml FRIZZ-EASE Curl Around® Conditioner
- Curls Pantene Pro-V Hair Conditioner Pur for curly hair, 6-pack (6 x 250 ml)
- L’Oréal Hair Expertise – Ever Color – Moisturizing soothing cream for dyed hair – 250 ml
- Anti-Poof Moisturizing & Softening Conditioner – G 426
- Matrix Bio Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair – 500 ml
- Hair Care Set Bundle for wavy and curly hair, including Garnier The Tamer Smoothing Curled Tamer Shampoo and Conditioner, John Frieda Wand, Tangle Attack, Hair Brush Claws Clip
Best masks for very curly hair
- Mica Derm – Sublime Curls Mask – Curly or Curly Hair – 300 ml
- L’Oréal Professionnel Expert – Curl Contour HydraCell – Cream with anti-frizz action for curly hair – 150 ml
- Alea Curly Hair Mask – 400 ml
- Total Repair Restorative Mask 5 200ml by L’Oréal Paris
- L’ORÉAL EXPERT PROFESSIONNEL CURL CONTOUR HYDRACELL mask 200 ml
- Activator Curl 200ml Kin Kinactif Stimulating Curly Treatment
- Hair mask for curly hair – cameo BB – 500 ml
- Mask of Elvive Color-Vive by L’Oréal Paris
- Kin Kinactif Liss Repair and Smoothing Mask Treatment for unruly or very curly hair – 200 ml
- Kin Kinactif Curl Repair and Moisturizing Mask Treatment for curly hair – 200 ml
Hopefully you have been very useful article and take care of your curly hair in the best way possible, always with care and perseverance, to have an unbeatable look. Tell us how it went and share if you liked it!